If your organization is working to better the planet and community, you’re invited to apply for the 2023 Ecostar Awards.
Produced by Synergy Foundation with the support of Vancity Credit Union and Destination Greater Victoria, these awards recognize outstanding environmental and social achievements on Vancouver Island and the Southern Gulf Islands. They are presented to businesses, non-profits, academia, governments, and individuals who have demonstrated exceptional leadership in creating impactful initiatives. Douglas magazine is pleased to have sponsored the awards for the last several years.
In 2022 winners included Salt Legacy, awarded the Waste to Resource award for upcycling sailcloth into outdoor adventure bags, and Iyé Creative Collective, who took home the Inspirational New Venture award for their work advancing food justice by nurturing reciprocal relations and mutual aid.
“Gathering in one room with the Island’s changemakers and innovators is inspiring,” said Brianna Stewart, the Ecostar Awards Event Lead. “Our corner of the world has truly positioned itself as a leader in the green economy.”
The 15 award categories for the 2023 Ecostar Awards are:
- Clean Oceans – Recognizes an organization that is demonstrating environmental leadership to protect our oceans
- Climate Action – Recognizes an organization that is working to measure, mitigate, and offset greenhouse gas emissions
- Community Leadership – Honours an organization that has made an outstanding contribution to the environmental movement and sparked changed throughout Vancouver Island
- Design and Construction – Recognizes a business or project within the construction industry showcasing environmental leadership and innovation
- Ecological Stewardship – Commends an organization who is actively working to restore or protect natural ecosystems
- Ecopreneur of the Year – Celebrates the work of an individual who has started an impactful eco-venture that has been in operation for 3 or more years
- Experiential Tourism – Celebrates an organization that is leading the way in nature-based tourism, creating positive environmental and social impacts in their industry
- Greenest Retailer – Honours a progressive retail business which has reduced environmental impact in both operations and products sold
- Innovation – Recognizes an organization that has demonstrated innovative sustainability practices, products, services and/or technology in their industry
- Inspirational New Venture – Celebrates an inspiring new venture that has demonstrated its potential to create widespread positive change, organization has been operating for less than 3 years
- Leadership in Hospitality – Celebrates a restaurant, lodging, spa, or salon that demonstrates actions to reduce waste, energy consumption, water usage, pollution, and greenhouse gas emissions
- Local Food – Commends an organization that is focused on producing or retailing Vancouver Island products, thereby increasing access to local food and beverage options
- Social Impact – Celebrates an organization that has made significant impact on addressing social needs
- Sustainable Workplace – Honours an organization with impressive environmental practices and social policies in place to create a work culture centered around sustainability and well-being
- Waste to Resource – Celebrates an organization that has diverted waste from the landfill by turning waste into a value-added material for new products
Award applications are currently being accepted and will close on August 31st at 11:59 pm. The awards gala will take place at the Inn at Laurel Point in Victoria on November 9th. Learn more and apply at ecostarawards.com.