Finalists Announced for Social Media Awards
May 23, 2012
(News Release) VICTORIA — After more than 100 nominations and a public vote, the finalists for the West Coast Social Media Awards have been announced.
Finalists in each category will now be evaluated by the judges panel that includes: Jay Baer, Convince and Convert; Sean Moffitt, Wikibrands; Raul Pacheco-Vega, PhD., hummingbird604.com; Simon Salt, The IncSlingers; Scott Stratten, UnMarketing; and Angela Crocker, Beachcomber Communications.
“We are really excited to announce a strong list of finalists for the West Coast Social Media Awards,” says Paul Holmes, co-founder of Social Media Camp. “The awards showcase some of the most engaging and involved members of our online community.”
One winner in each category will be revealed on Friday, June 8, at the awards dinner at the Victoria Conference Centre, emceed by Erica Ehm, and as part of a plated dinner and musical entertainment with the Doug Farr Quartet.
Finalists for the 2012 West Coast Social Media Awards include:
- Best Business Blog: Small Business Success — Blue Beetle Books Inc.; Genumark; Redbird Communications; SeaChange Canadian Gifts; ClariceCoty.com
- Best Facebook Page: Arbutus Ridge Golf Club; Keep a Breast Canada; SweetArt Supplies; I ❤ Downtown Victoria
- Best Personal Blog: Blonde on a Budget; Play In Victoria; Delicious Juice Dot Com; BC Buzz; Figure/Ground Communication
- Best Social Media Customer Service Award: Scott McDonald, Rocky Mountain Soap Co.; Tatiana Chabeaux-Smith, Consumer Protection BC; Erin Kelly, Pacific Culinary Institute; Kelly DeJong, London Drugs; Dane Low, Cactus Club Café
- Best Student Work: Britny McGinnis, Creative Plume; Geoff Sharpe, University of Victoria; Miguel Strother, Tree Communication
- Best Use of Location-Based Marketing: Matt Mazur, Steamworks Brewing Company; Sam Jones, 2% Jazz
- Best Use of Twitter: Breathe Now; Sean Dhillon, mortgage adviser; Andrew Gage, West Coast Environmental Law; Janni Aragon, University of Victoria
- Community Builder Award: HarbourLiving.ca, Mindi Pettitt; VibrantVictoria.ca, Mike Kozakowski; Social Media Is Simple, Brenda Burch Dumont; Figure/Ground Communication, Laureano Ralon; theorem.ca, Dan Pollock
- Derek K. Miller Award (Formerly “Most Inspiring Social Media User” Award): Nikki Thibodeau; Terri Daviesl; Bif Naked; Dave Reynolds; Kris Krug. For more info on Derek K. Miller, visit www.penmachine.com
- Kool FM — Koolest Social Media: Kimli Welsh; Hudson Mack; Scott McDonald; Dan Parks; Dylan Benson
- Most Innovative Social Media Product or Technology: Hashcaster; 1stView; YUPIQ; MeetMeme; CornerSign
- Social Media Campaign of the Year: RevenueWire; Saanich Dental Group; Dave Reynolds