Apr 17, 2014
Victoria’s third annual Earth Day Showdown includes “Nature Reboot”
(News Release) VICTORIA — ViSTA (Victoria Sustainable Tourism Alliance) founding members Inn at Laurel Point, Harbour Air Seaplanes, and Eagle Wing Tours have submitted a challenge to local Victoria businesses to get involved in the third annual Earth Day Showdown by picking up refuse in their chosen location on Tuesday, April 22.
New for 2014 will be a special gift for Victorians – each clean up team will be leaving behind a Nature Reboot Kit, comprised of a flower pot with plants (provided by the City of Victoria Parks & Recreation department) and some ‘planted’ bonuses provided by each team, sprouting from the pot. Each team will post a photo of the location of their Nature Reboot Kit on the ViSTA Facebook page (www.facebook.com/ViSTAvictoria) to encourage followers to search for their whereabouts.
The winners of the competition (the top team to pick up the most refuse in a one-hour window) will be awarded the coveted ‘Golden Garbage Award’ presented by Mayor Fortin. All refuse and recyclables collected during the challenge will be responsibly recycled and disposed of by Ellice Recycle Ltd. using separate bins for garbage, mixed fibres (paper/cardboard) and mixed containers (tin/plastic).
While not required, the majority of teams dress up, ranging from corporate wear to themed-costumes. For the past two years, Eagle Wing Tours adopted a Neptune and mermaid theme, bringing attention to their task of cleaning up the beach along Dallas Road.
Why: To help raise awareness about Earth Day (Tuesday, April 22, 2014), local businesses are encouraged to sign up for the Earth Day Showdown, helping to keep their neighbourhood clean by picking up refuse over the noon hour.
When: Tuesday, April 22, 2014
10 to 11 a.m. – Nature Reboot Kit assembly and pickup by teams at the Robert Bateman Centre
Noon to 12:59 p.m. – refuse pickup (businesses across Victoria to compete in one-hour challenge)
2 p.m. – awards ceremony (top collector named and given coveted Golden Garbage Award – awarded to Eagle Wing Tours in 2013)
All Nature Reboot Kits will be assembled on site in front of the Robert Bateman Centre from 10 to 11 a.m. Participating businesses select their desired location to pick up refuse, including:
- Laurel Point Park
- Dallas Road waterfront (Clover Point to the Breakwater)
- The beach in front of the Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort & Spa
Awards ceremony will occur on the front lawn of Inn at Laurel Point
- To compete in the contest, businesses count the number of pieces collected (for example, one cigarette butt equals one piece).
- Victoria’s Ellice Recycle will responsibly dispose of all refuse collected during the pickup challenge.
- Earth Day is the world’s largest and most celebrated environmental event. Each year, more than six million Canadians join 1 billion people in more than 170 countries in staging events and projects that address local environmental issues.
- Earth Day was first launched in 1970 in the United States as an environmental awareness event (the first International Earth Day was celebrated in 1990). In Canada, Earth Day has grown into Earth Week and even Earth Month to accommodate the influx of environmental-related events and projects.
- For more information: https://www.facebook.com/ViSTAvictoria
- Follow #CleanUpYYJ for real-time tweets during the event and awards presentation.