10 to Watch for 2012
Douglas magazine’s 10 to Watch competition recognizes the very best of Greater Victoria’s new businesses – and the results for 2012 are in.
The 10 to Watch winners were honoured at a gala awards ceremony last night at The Atrium in downtown Victoria.
The exposure our winners receive through the 10 to Watch program not only gives them a much-deserved pat on the back, it also serves to highlight Victoria’s vibrant spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship, which in turn can motivate someone with nothing more than a dream and an idea to take that next step toward building an enterprise that could someday become another key player in our business community.
As determined by a panel of judges made up of local business experts, this year’s 10 to Watch are:
- Brink Events (owner: Aidan Henry)
- Evoshift Communications (owner: Ryley MacKenzie)
- First Light Technologies (owners: Sean Bourquin and Justin Taverna)
- IKAN Installations (owners: Anthony Stubbs and Kyler Davalovsky)
- The London Chef (owners: Dan and Micayla Hayes)
- Parc Modern Interiors (owners: David and Jody Adelman)
- SendtoNews.com (owners/principals: Greg Bobolo, Keith Wells, Art Aylesworth, Peter Beblo, David Davies, and Marc Hoelscher)
- Victory Barber & Brand (owner: Matty Conrad)
- Vshoen Boutique (owners: Regan Forrester and Devyn Sieben)
- YUPIQ (owners: Will Fraser, Logan Volkers, Jeff Crowe, and Torben Werner)
The 10 to Watch panel of judges was led by facilitator Cathy McIntyre of Strategic Initiatives Inc. The judges were: Dale Gann, president of the Vancouver Island Technology Park; Al Hasham, president and CEO of Maximum Express Courier, Freight, and Logistics; Rebecca Grant, associate professor at the University of Victoria’s Peter B. Gustavson School of Business; Daniela Cubelic, owner of Silk Road Tea; and Mike Thompson, associate vice‐president of business development at Royal Roads University.
The judges read through a record number of applications to determine which businesses were the most innovative, entrepreneurial, creative, and strategic. Following a rigorous evaluation process, 10 stood out as being the very best representatives of the region’s vibrant entrepreneurial community. For in‐depth profiles of this year’s group of winners, pick up the March/April 2012 issue of Douglas Magazine.
Special thanks go to our official sponsor, Helijet, and supporting sponsors Premier Executive Suites, Richmond Property Group Ltd., Aquamist Carpet Care Ltd., Teldon Print Media, WildPlay Element Parks, TD Canada Trust, Acacia Landscape, Hoyne Brewing Co., and Certified Management Accountants of British Columbia.
Douglas is proud to support Every Step Counts as the benefiting charity of this year’s 10 to Watch program.
You can view photos of the event below. In-depth profiles of all 10 businesses can be found in the March/April 2012 issue of Douglas magazine, available now on newsstands at Chapters on Douglas Street, Munro’s Books, Bolen Books, Market on Yates, or Tanner’s Books in Sidney. Subscribe now at douglasmagazine.com.
Douglas Magazine's 10 to Watch Awards Gala